Characteristic farmhouse in natural surroundings
La Grande Foullerie was originally built at the end of the 16th century by Michel de Beaufils (elevated to the nobility in 1643) and his father Thomas. At least two generations lived here – not only officers of the judiciary in Coutances, but even the deputy and advisor of the king of Hambye. The name Beaufils is characteristic of Hambye (from the 13th century in history and onwards) and still exists. Afterwards came Charles de Beaufils de Romainville (died 1704), whose positions included that of marshal in the army of Louis XIII and governor of the castle of Hambye. His daughter Jeanne married Graaf Sebastien de Montaigu, a union that brought significant capital into the family (including estates such as Montaigu les Bois, Sourdeval des Bois, L’Orbehaye, St. Cecile, etc.). From 1780 to 1921 the owners did not live at the Foullerie, letting it out instead to local noblemen or dignitaries. The right-hand section of the large house was added at the end of the 19th century, by which time the whole property was already operating as a farm. Opposite the large house, a small house was built at the same time. This was sold with some of the barns and put to use as a separate farm. In 1921, the large farmhouse was purchased by Alberic Bregeault, grandfather of Michel Bregeault, who sold it in 2000 to Robert and Monique Mulder. In 2003 the small farmhouse was also purchased, making La Grande Foullerie one property again. The whole property operated as a farm until a few years ago and is still in its original state, including the vegetable garden and an orchard for the apples that are used to make cider and Calvados.